Our first thank you is to the 8,215 men, women and children who gave up their time voluntarily to take part in this survey and welcomed our interviewers and nurses into their homes.
We would also like to thank those colleagues who contributed to the survey and this report. In particular we would like to thank:
- All the interviewers and nurses who worked on the project. We owe a huge debt of gratitude for the dedication and professionalism they applied to their work.
- The authors of the chapters: Linsay Gray, Alastair Leyland, Andy MacGregor, Louise Marryat, Martine Miller and Susan Reid. Additional thanks are due to Linsay Gray, Alastair Leyland and Andy MacGregor for their contributions to the introductions to each chapter.
- Joan Corbett, whose hard work and expertise has been crucial in preparing the survey data, and for conducting much of the analysis in this report.
- Other research colleagues, in particular: Simon Anderson, Lesley Birse, Mireille Ferrandon, Clare Sharp and Catriona Webster (ScotCen); Rachel Craig, Emily Diment and John D'Souza (NatCen); Jenny Mindell (Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, UCL Medical School).
- Sue Body, Audrey Hale, Laura Common and the rest of the NatCen Operations team.
- Jean Vallance and her team of deputies and interviewer supervisors.
- Sue Nash and her nurse supervisors.
- The principal programmers: Iain Templeton and Sven Sjodin.
- The Survey Doctors: Dr Sangeeta Dhami and Professor Aziz Sheikh.
We would also like to express our thanks to Professor Ian Gibb and his staff at the Department of Clinical Biochemistry at the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle upon Tyne, and to Dr Colin Feyerabend and his staff at ABS Laboratories in London, for their helpfulness and efficiency in processing and analysing the blood, saliva and urine samples.
Finally, special thanks are due to Julie Ramsay, Emma McNair and Jan Cassels, and their colleagues in the Scottish Government Health Directorates, for their support at all stages of the project.
Catherine Bromley, Paul Bradshaw, Lisa Given