Publication - Statistics

Pesticide usage - arable crops and potato stores 2018: survey results

Published: 13 Nov 2019
Directorate:
Agriculture and Rural Economy Directorate
Part of:
Farming and rural
ISBN:
9781839603099

Information from a survey of pesticide use on arable crops and potato stores in Scotland during 2018.

Pesticide usage - arable crops and potato stores 2018: survey results
Appendix 1: Estimated application tables

Appendix 1: Estimated application tables

Table 1: Percentage of each crop treated with pesticides and mean number of spray applications - 2018

Crop Fungicides Herbicides/ desiccants Insecticides(2) Molluscicide Sulphur Growth Regulators Any pesticide exc. STs Seed treatments Any pesticideinc. STs
% spray apps % spray apps % spray apps % spray apps % spray apps % spray apps % spray apps % %
Winter barley 100 2.5 98 2.2 22 1.0 7 1.3 1 1.0 96 1.9 100 4.2 90 100
Spring barley 92 1.8 96 1.7 12 1.0 0 0.0 0 0.0 22 1.1 97 2.5 85 98
Winter wheat 97 3.5 97 2.1 21 1.2 20 1.3 1 1.0 95 1.9 98 5.1 86 98
Spring wheat 99 2.0 100 1.6 20 1.0 0 0.0 0 0.0 38 1.2 100 2.5 90 100
Winter oats 95 2.4 96 2.1 30 1.2 3 1.0 0 0.0 97 1.3 99 3.8 82 99
Spring oats 80 1.7 92 1.5 34 1.0 0 0.0 0 0.0 77 1.1 93 2.5 70 94
Oilseed rape 98 2.8 99 2.6 65 1.6 59 1.2 <0.5 2.0 16 1.0 99 5.9 89 100
Seed potatoes 89 8.8 89 2.2 86 5.9 22 2.0 0 0.0 0 0.0 89 10.9 83 89
Ware potatoes 98 9.6 96 2.5 64 2.3 47 2.3 0 0.0 2 1.0 98 12.6 88 98
Legumes 30 1.7 72 2.2 12 2.0 0 0.0 0 0.0 0 0.0 72 3.2 0(3) 72
Total arable crops(1) 93 2.7 96 1.9 23 1.7 10 1.4 <0.5 1.1 45 1.6 97 3.9 84 98

(1) Includes winter rye

(2) Includes nematicides

(3) 89 per cent of legumes had no seed treatment, the seed treatment information for the remaining 11 per cent was unknown

Note: STs = seed treatments

The average number of spray applications is calculated only on the areas receiving each pesticide group and therefore the minimum number of applications is always one (see appendix 3 – definitions and notes for details)


Contact

Email: psu@sasa.gov.scot