Estimation of sectoral payment envelopes
9. Whilst the total 'direct' support dispersed (after penalties) amounted to £508.8 million in 2019 scheme year there was £1.92 million distributed to 240 businesses (BRNs) with no JAC data entry. Therefore, for this analysis, there were 17,850 JAC businesses in receipt of 'Direct' support totalling £506.9 million that was allocatable to sectors.
10. Using Thomson and Moxey's SO model, Figure 3 show that beef activities were allocated 43.5% (£220.6m) of total 'direct' payments in 2019, whilst sheep activities were allocated 23.6% (£119.7m), crop and horticulture 24.7% (£125.1m) and dairy activities 5.3% (£27m). A further 2.9% (£14.5m) was allocated to grazing or fodder crops without any stocking activity during the JAC reporting period.
11. In addition to these payments £48.5m was paid to 3,611 (including non-agricultural) businesses in 2019 through Agri-Environment Climate Scheme (AECS), Forestry Grant Schemes (FGS) and legacy schemes such as Environmentally Sensitive Area and Farmland Premium Scheme. Figure 4 reveals that there were 145 recipients of £2.3 million capital grant through AECS, with 2,318 receiving £23.5 million in recurrent payments. 145 businesses received £15.9 million FGS capital grants with £5.8 million in recurrent payments made to 625 businesses in 2019. 682 businesses were in receipt of legacy environmental and forestry payments.
12. Table 1 provides a summary of the distribution of funding (lower quartile, median, mean and upper quartile) within the individual components of each of the sectoral envelopes, as well as payments made through environmental and forestry schemes. In both the crop and dairy envelopes the BPS accounted for 66% of the support with greening making up the remainder (34%). However, in the beef and sheep sectors the addition of LFASS and coupled support schemes meant that the BPS and Greening accounted for a lower proportion of the sectoral envelope (e.g. BPS was 51% of the sheep envelope and only 45% of the beef envelope).
|BRNs||Amount||% of Sectoral Envelope||Lower Quartile||Median||Mean||Upper Quartile|
|Environment & Forestry Envelope||£48,512,568|
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback