Justice Social Work Statistics In Scotland: 2022-23

This publication presents national-level information on justice social work activity in Scotland. It includes data on justice social work services and social work orders, as well as characteristics of the individuals involved.

This document is part of a collection

12 Pre-release reports

( Table 1 )

Part of statutory throughcare involves preparing reports to inform temporary release from prison on home leave and liberation on licence.

In 2022-23, 1,200 home leave reports were produced. This was 31 per cent higher than in 2021-22 and was the first annual rise since 2019-20. The total for 2022-23 was similar to the most recent pre-pandemic years. A total of 2,400 reports for release from prison on parole/non-parole licence were recorded in 2022-23. This was around the same as in 2021-22, after rising each year since 2013-14.

Overall, pre-release reports from 2013-14 to 2016-17 were nearly 50:50 between home leave and parole/non-parole reports. This ratio has, however, changed in the last six years. The percentage of reports which were parole/non-parole was 67 per cent in 2022-23, with the remaining 33 per cent home leave reports.

From 2006, those serving a custodial sentence may also be released early under a home detention curfew scheme. From 2013-14 to 2017-18, there were at least 2,500 reports a year. This declined in 2018-19 to 1,900 and has fallen further since then, averaging 800 in the last four years. The total of 730 in 2022-23 was the lowest in the last decade.


Email: justice_analysts@gov.scot

Back to top