Joe Griffin was appointed Director-General Education and Justice in February 2021.
The Director General for Education and Justice has responsibility for education and advanced learning of the people of Scotland as well as the safety and justice system of the country's communities.
The Director-General Education and Justice is a member of the Scottish Government's Corporate Governance Board.
Joe has been working for the Scottish Government since 2004 in mainly policy roles, including:
- Director, Directorate for Safer Communities
- Director, Directorate of Early Learning and Childcare
- Deputy Director for Creating Positive Futures, Directorate for Children and Families
- Acting Director for Fair Work
- Head of Reducing Reoffending, Directorate for Justice
- Principal Private Secretary to the First Minister
Before his move to Scotland, Joe was a diplomat at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office which included postings to New York and Paris.
He is also co-covenor of the Race Equality Network.