Economic Report on Scottish Agriculture, 2016
Presents an overall picture of Scottish agriculture using data from the various agricultural surveys that RESAS manage.
This document is part of a collection
Table C2 Crops, grass and rough grazings for each United Kingdom country, June 2015
|Scotland||England||Wales||Northern Ireland||United Kingdom|
|Number of holdings (1)||52,303||102,893||35,253||24,907||215,356|
|Crops, fallow and set-aside:||hectares||hectares||hectares||hectares||hectares|
|Oats (including mixed grain) (2)||25,690||123,954||5,866||2,076||157,586|
|Rape for oilseed (including flax (3) and linseed)||35,948||625,970||4,812||608||667,338|
|Peas for combining||1,470||42,069||:||:||:|
|Beans for combining (4)||4,045||164,829||849||:||:|
|Turnips, swedes and beet for stockfeeding||4,446||:||:||545||:|
|Other crops for stockfeeding (5)||12,001||42,638||15,064||3,980||:|
|Vegetables for human consumption||16,672||104,410||449||1,369||122,899|
|Orchard and soft fruit||1,919||34,166||758||1,516||38,360|
|Bulbs, other flowers and nursery stock||946||11,266||363||178||12,753|
|All other crops (6)||11,416||115,458||2,570||1,221||130,664|
|Total crops and fallow||592,698||4,162,679||89,006||48,204||4,892,616|
|Under 5 years||212,964||646,345||157,501||149,932||1,166,741|
|5 years and over||1,127,964||3,231,230||1,068,814||650,414||6,078,422|
|Total crops, fallow and grass||1,933,625||8,040,254||1,315,321||848,550||12,137,750|
|Sole right grazing||2,949,100||463,773||257,264||131,143||3,801,280|
|Common grazing (7)||584,247||398,947||180,305||35,486||1,198,985|
|Total rough grazing||3,533,347||862,720||438,569||166,629||5,001,265|
|Total crops, fallow, grass and rough grazing (UAA) (8)||5,466,972||8,902,974||1,753,890||1,015,178||17,139,015|
|Total agricultural area||6,160,667||9,390,772||1,843,849||1,033,234||18,428,522|
|% land LFA (9)||84%||16%||80%||69%||47%|
|Total land area (10)||7,791,035||13,045,943||2,073,616||1,431,525||24,342,119|
|% land agricultural||79%||72%||89%||72%||76%|
(1) Refers only to holdings actively engaged in agriculture but excludes sheep stock clubs and landless cattle keepers in Scotland and non-commercial holdings in England. The number of holdings in Wales refers to 2014 data.
(2) Includes rye for England and Wales and triticale for Wales.
(3) Flax not collected for Scotland. Figure for Scotland includes linseed.
(4) Wales figure includes peas for combining.
(5) Includes lupins. Wales figure included turnips, swede and beet for stock feeding.
(6) Inclusion of common grazing land brings total agricultural area in Scotland and in Northern Ireland to a higher level than that published in the June agricultural census publication.
(7) Utilised agricultural area (UAA) excludes woodland and other land such as yards and derelict land etc.
(8) A holding is classified as LFA if 50% or more of its land is assessed as being disadvantaged or severely disadvantaged for subsidy purposes. Data for England relates to 2014.
(9) Data source: UK Standard Area Measurements (SAM), published by Office for National Statistics, December 2015.
: Information not available.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback