The Integrated Administration and Control System: guidance

These notes tell you about the Integrated Administration and Control System (IACS) 2008.

Annex 5: Field Identification System

1. Introduction

The IACS Regulations require Member States to have a register of fields on which subsidy is claimed. This register must have unique field identifiers and areas, against which we can check all claims. We hold the unique field identifiers and areas for your farms on our Field Identification System ( FIS). This information is on the maps we issue to you. You must use these unique field identifiers and areas in your SAF.

Land located in other parts of the UK is subject to the Field Identification System operated in that country.

2. FIS Maps


The maps we issue show your field boundaries in blue. The field identifiers and field areas are listed in the table on the right hand side of the map. The second column contains the unique field identifier and the third column lists the total area of the field. The left hand column of the table shows a field counter. You should use this to help you establish which field identifier belongs to each field.

Your map shows the gross plan areas of your fields. They have been calculated on the assumption that the field boundary is correct. The background is OS Landline which shows roads, buildings, water features and general details.

The areas held on the Field Register correspond to the plan area within the field boundary. We must validate your claim against the Field Register. It is, therefore, essential that you use the most recent map for the land that you are declaring.

Disagreement over area sizes

If you do not agree with the area shown on your map, you should first check whether the boundary of the field is shown correctly. If not, then amend it by filling in an LBCF. If you agree with the field boundary shown, but are unhappy with the area, you can make your own arrangements to have the land professionally measured and to submit those measurements to us for approval. Any plans you submit under these arrangements should be surveyed and certified by an independent person who must hold a qualification from the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors ( RICS), the Institution of Civil Engineers ( ICE) or a similar professional body. Any map you provide under these arrangements should be drawn to scale and clearly show the areas in question, the underlying OS landline detail and the OS map reference number.

Maintaining the Field Register

It is important that the Field Register is up to date and if any land is bought or sold or boundaries change, you should update the Field Register by filling in and submitting an LBCF. LBCFs are available on our website or from your SGRPID area office. It is in your interest to submit the form by 15 May 2008 as any form submitted after this deadline may delay your payment.

Note: If you submitted an LBCF for one or more of your fields previously and it is not yet fully processed, your pre-printed Field Data Sheets will not reflect any of this information.

If your outstanding LBCF relates to the boundary (and therefore the area of the field), the pre-printed area in column D of the Field Data Sheets will be the original area printed on the map we sent you. Unless you are confident that a different area will supersede the pre-printed area, use the pre-printed area in column D as the total area of your field, or the pre-printed areas in columns E and F as the maximum eligible area. If an Agri-Environment or Forestry measure exists in the field, you may have to adjust the pre-printed areas when filling in columns I and J of your claim. If you claim more than this, and the results of your LBCF do not substantiate a larger area, we may have to apply penalties. If you claim less than this, do not amend the pre-printed area, but enter the correct area claimed in the appropriate Field Data Sheet column. It is your responsibility to ensure the accuracy of the area you claim.

When should you submit an LBCF?

  • When land is bought or sold;
  • When land is transferred from one holding to another for any reason other than change of owner;
  • When changes are made to the permanent boundary of a field;
  • When internal boundaries are removed and fields are merged;
  • When internal boundaries are inserted and a field is split;
  • When a field is being registered on the Field Identification System for the first time.

You should fill in a separate LBCF for each individual location code requiring changes. We will contact you if we need more information.

Who should submit the LBCF?

The LBCF can be submitted either by the owner of the field or by the long term tenant on whose IACS claim it appears. Seasonal tenants should arrange for the owner or long term tenant to submit an LBCF. An agent can also submit an LBCF providing they have been authorised to do so.

Map requirements for existing applicants

When submitting an LBCF with field changes, supply a map with the details of every change clearly shown. If you have an existing FIS map, you must use it to notify changes. Do not use correction fluid when altering your boundaries. Mark crosses on the line to be altered and make any amendments in ink other than blue.

If you have a new field or parcel of land which has not been registered, draw the boundaries clearly on your existing FIS map. Check if the previous owner/occupier has already received a new unique field identifier and use this number. If the field cannot be drawn on the FIS map, supply another map showing the field. The map should be an OS map (or a professional equivalent) at 1:10000 scale (or 1:2500) for fields up to 2000 hectares, and 1:25000 scale (or 1:10000) for fields above 2000 hectares. Make sure that the map sheet reference is marked on the map.

If you purchase or sell a field which has already been registered on the FIS you should enter the unique field identifier on the LBCF showing the type of change, date of change, area etc. You do not need to submit a map if the boundaries have not changed.

Map requirements for new applicants

Requirements differ depending on the size of the field that needs to be registered. When submitting an LBCF to register your land for the first time; supply the following types of map:

For a new field up to 2000 hectares, you must submit an OS map at a scale of at least 1:10000 (maps at 1:2500 scale are also acceptable), or a professionally produced equivalent.

For a new field above 2000 hectares, the map should be at a scale of at least 1:25000 (maps at 1:10000 scale are also acceptable).

Your map(s) must include:

  • The code number of the holding;
  • For each field, the field boundary in blue and the estimated area in hectares. Note that acres are not acceptable. To convert from acres to hectares divide by 2.47; and
  • For each field, the reference number which you have used on your Field Data Sheet (if LBCF submitted along with SAF).

Special Categories

Common Grazings

The Grazings Clerk or other appointed person should submit an LBCF relating to changes to the Common Grazing. Forms relating to apportionments from the Common Grazing must only be submitted once the apportionment has been officially approved and a Final Order produced by the Crofter's Commission.

Only Common Grazings not previously declared require a new map. If you are submitting a SAF for the first time, and you use a Common Grazing as part of your forage area, then we require a map of 1:25000 scale covering the whole Common Grazing. Your application will not be processed until the map is supplied. Since only one map of the grazing is necessary, you may wish to arrange with others who share in the Common Grazing for this to be submitted to the relevant SGRPID area office by the Township Clerk, Grazing Constable or other suitable person on behalf of the Township, Sheep Stock Club or Grazings Committee.

The boundary of the Common Grazing should be marked on the map and the person who submits the map should sign it on behalf of all shareholders. The map should show (or be accompanied by) a list of all shareholders with their allocated shares. Any apportionments granted should be clearly marked on the map; the map and the area of the Common Grazings (excluding apportioned land) should be marked in hectares. If you are having difficulties supplying a map or identifying apportionments please consult your SGRPID area office, who will advise on appropriate sources of information.

Agri-Environment and Forestry Schemes

An LBCF is required and a field identifier given if an area has never previously been registered and is not part of an existing field.

An LBCF will be accepted and a field identifier given if the area is part of an existing field but over one hectare and fenced off from the remaining area of the field, but only where the area is to be permanently enclosed, for example an area to be managed under an Agri-Environment scheme.

An LBCF is not required when:

  • The area is part of an existing field already covered by a unique field identifier and under one hectare, whether fenced off or not;
  • The area concerned is already covered by unique field identifiers and is to be enclosed and managed separately only for the lifetime of an Agri-Environment scheme agreement, for example a water margin, wetland area or pond to be created within a field already identified by a unique field identifier.

Ineligible areas (unusable areas, such as roads, yards, buildings, ponds)

The areas printed on your FIS map are for the gross plan area of the field. This includes ineligible areas, such as rocky outcrops and buildings contained within the field. It is your responsibility to ensure that you deduct any ineligible land when you claim. Do not complete an LBCF to remove these areas from fields.

Who to contact if you require additional information about the Field Register

You can call the FIS team on 0131 244 1938 between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Thursday and between 9am and 4.30pm on Fridays. An answering machine is available outside these hours. If you wish to write regarding a query, write to the FIS Team, SGRPID, Room 028, Pentland House, 47 Robb's Loan, Edinburgh, EH14 1TY.

Back to top