The Integrated Administration and Control System: guidance

These notes tell you about the Integrated Administration and Control System (IACS) 2008.

Annex 4: Hemp growers

If you want to grow hemp, you must get a licence from the Home Office. In the UK, it is a criminal offence to grow hemp, for any purpose, without a licence. Unless you have made separate arrangements with the Home Office, you should apply for a licence to:

Home Office
Licensing Section
Room 239
50 Queen Anne's Gate

or phone 020 7273 3731 (Fax: 020 7035 6161).

You should apply for a licence as early as possible. The Home Office Drugs Branch Inspectorate will consider your reasons for growing the hemp and your proposed growing sites. They do not issue licences automatically. You should choose a growing site away from residential areas and major roads where there is poor public access and crop visibility. If minor roads run alongside the site, vehicles should not be able to access it. In some cases, the Home Office may need you to screen crops from view and take other security measures. You may also need to give a Home Office approved processor evidence that you have a contract to supply the hemp.

The cultivation of hemp for purposes in addition to fibre is now eligible under SFPS, and you are no longer required to have or submit a hemp contract with your SAF.

You must use certified seed of one of the eligible varieties. You will need to submit the original official seed labels, confirming the variety, with your SAF. We will return the labels to you. If sowing takes place after 15 May 2008 you must submit the labels no later than 30 June 2008.

Eligible varieties of hemp grown for fibre

Hemp grown for fibre:

Delta 405
Dioica 88
Epsilon 68
Fedora 17
Felina 32
Felina 34 - Félina 34
Ferimon - Férimon
Fibrimon 24
Futura 75
Red Petiole
Santhica 23
Santhica 27

Hemp grown for fibre authorised only for claims under the 2008 SFPS:

Kompolti hibrid TC
Lovrin 110

Back to top