1. Caution is needed when comparing reconvictions between different disposals. A disposal may affect the reconviction rates, but different disposals are given for different types of offending behaviour, which are themselves also likely to affect reconviction rates.
2. Royal Statistical Society (2003) Performance Indicators: Good, Bad, and Ugly Royal Statistical Society Working Party on Performance Monitoring in the Public Services. http://www.rss.org.uk/Images/PDF/publications/rss-reports-performance-monitoring-public-services-2003.pdf
3. Battersby, J. & Flowers, J. (2004) Presenting performance indicators Eastern Region Public Health Observatory. Obtained from http://www.erpho.org.uk/viewResource.aspx?id=75118
4. Spiegelhalter, D. J. (2005) Funnel plots for comparing institutional performance Statistics in Medicine 24 1185-1202.
5. Community Payback Orders ( CPOs) were introduced by the Criminal Justice and Licensing (Scotland) Act 2010 and came into effect from 1 February 2011. The CPO replaces provisions for Community Service Orders, Probation Orders and Supervised Attendance Orders.
Email: Mariken Schipper
Phone: 0300 244 4000 – Central Enquiry Unit
The Scottish Government
St Andrew's House