Table 12 Reconviction rates by index crime: 2011-12 cohort
(see note 1)
|Index crime2 2011-12||Total number (=100%)||Percentage reconvicted within 1 year for:|
|Any crime||Violent Crime||Sexual Crime3||Crimes of dishonesty||Criminal damage||Other||Serious violent crime||Serious crime|
|Serious assault and homicide||1,251||21||10||**||4||1||11||3||6|
|Crimes of dishonesty|
|Theft (opening lockfast place)||305||49||11||**||32||**||21||**||8|
|Theft of motor vehicle||379||41||12||-||20||4||19||4||7|
|Malicious & reckless conduct||2,088||29||12||**||7||5||15||2||4|
|Handling offensive weapons6||1,873||30||9||**||8||2||18||2||6|
|Crimes against public justice7||1,158||31||8||**||9||2||19||2||6|
|Breach of the peace8||9,849||29||11||*||5||3||18||2||3|
1. This table has been constructed differently from previous years' bulletins, so they cannot be directly compared. For consistency with tables 1-11, this table is now produced from the "persons proceeded against" datasource. In previous years this table has been constructed from a different datasource: the "offences relating to persons proceeded against" datasource. The row totals for the specific crime groups will not necessarily equal the overall total in "Any crime" as offenders may have multiple reconvictions in 1 year.
2. A more detailed breakdown of the crimes for which the cohort are reconvicted are omitted from the bulletin for clarity. They are included in the additional datasets which accompany this bulletin.
3. Sexual Crime includes Sexual assault and Other indecency. Sexual Crime excludes offences associated with prostitution.
4. Sexual Assault includes: Rape; Attempted rape; Contact sexual assault (13-15 yr. old or adult 16+); Sexually coercive conduct (13-15 yr. old or adult 16+); Sexual offences against children under 13 years; and Lewd and libidinous practices. Other Indecency includes: Other sexually coercive conduct; Other sexual offences involving 13-15 year old children; Taking, distribution, possession etc. of indecent photos of children; Incest; Unnatural Crimes; Public indecency; Sexual exposure; and Other sexual offences. These are the notifiable crimes for an offender who has been placed on the sex offenders register. The definitions are aligned with the Criminal Proceedings in Scotland 2012-13 publication.
5. Offences associated with prostitution including: Procuration (excluding homosexual acts); Brothel keeping; Immoral traffic; Offences related to prostitution; Procuration of homosexual acts; Procuration of sexual services from children under 18; and Soliciting services of a person engaged in prostitution.
6. Handling offensive weapons includes: in possession of an offensive weapon; having in a public place an article with a blade or point, and restriction of weapons.
7. Breach of sexual offender order and breach of sexual harm order are included in Crimes against public justice.
8. Changes have been made since the Reconvictions Rates in Scotland 2010-11 Cohort Bulletin. Breach of peace grouping, in line with the Criminal Proceedings in Scotland 2012-13 publication, now includes the new offences of "Threating or abusive behaviour" and "Offence of stalking", which are part of the Criminal Justice and Licensing (Scotland) Act 2010; and "Offensive behaviour at football (under the Offensive behaviour at football and threatening communication Scotland Act 2012)", and "Threatening communications (under the Offensive behaviour at football and threatening communication Scotland Act 2012)".
Email: Andrew Morgan