15. Implementation and Delivery Plan
155. Scotland's Programme for Government 2019-20 initially made stakeholders aware of our intention to introduce these new regulations. This was reinforced within the Programme for Government 2020-21, which announced our intention to launch a scoping consultation in 2020 on standards for new buildings, which would require them to use ZDEH from 2024 onwards. Two public consultations have since concluded and, during both, a series of public workshops were held to seek further input from impacted stakeholders.
156. Outwith these formal consultations, discussions with developers and other key stakeholders have been ongoing, to ensure that all relevant stakeholders are aware that regulations will be introduced and have had an opportunity to provide feedback during the development phase.
157. Our external working group have continued to meet to provide crucial insight into the development of these regulations and have been kept informed of developments throughout 2020-2023.
158. With regard to the implementation of this Standard, this will be achieved through changes to Scottish building regulations. We propose that legislation for the NBHS will be laid nine to twelve months in advance of the 1 April 2024 in-force date.
159. With input from the NBHS external working group, it is the Scottish Government's intention to publish revised guidance within relevant Technical Handbooks in late 2023. This will ensure that designers, contractors, and verifiers will have at least seven months to familiarise themselves with the changes in advance of the 1 April 2024 in-force date.
160. Following engagement with Local Authority Building Standards Scotland (LABSS), a potential risk identified to the successful implementation of this policy would be a large influx of building warrant applications prior to 1 April 2024. Historically, this has resulted in an increased workload for local authorities – however, this has also resulted in increased income for local authorities through the fees associated with building warrant applications.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback