Justice Social Work Statistics in Scotland: 2021-22

This publication presents national-level information on justice social work activity in Scotland. It includes data on justice social work services and social work orders, as well as characteristics of the individuals involved.

This document is part of a collection

8 Pre-release reports

(Table 1)

8.1 Part of statutory throughcare involves preparing reports to inform temporary release from prison on home leave and liberation on licence.

8.2 In 2021-22, 890 home leave reports were produced. This was a fall of five per cent on the previous year and the lowest number of reports in the last decade. A total of 2,400 reports for release from prison on parole/non-parole licence were recorded in 2021-22. Numbers have increased every year since 2012-13. Overall, pre-release reports from 2012-13 to 2016-17 were nearly 50:50 between home leave and parole/non-parole reports. This ratio has, however, changed in the last five years. The percentage of reports which were parole/non-parole increased to 73 per cent in 2021-22, with the remaining 27 per cent home leave reports.

8.3 From 2006, those serving a custodial sentence may also be released early under a home detention curfew scheme. From 2012-13 to 2017-18, there were at least 2,500 reports a year. This declined in 2018-19 to 1,900 with a sharp drop to 810 in 2019-20. This dropped further in 2021-22 and was at the lowest level in the last decade at 790.


Email: justice_analysts@gov.scot

Back to top