6. The Equality Impact Assessment (EQIA)
6.1. Equality is about creating the kind of society that we want to live in – one without prejudice and discrimination, free from sectarianism and hate crime, where people have the opportunity to achieve their potential, to contribute to the economy and to fully participate in society. The EQIA allows us to look at how this Programme impacts on people and is an opportunity to promote equality. The EQIA helps us to meet our legal duty under the Equality Act 2010 and deliver the Scottish Government's business strategy.
6.2. This EQIA is being undertaken in accordance with Section 5 of the Equality Act 2010 (Specific Duties) (Scotland) Regulations 2012 and assesses those aspects of the Programme which have already been consulted on (but not yet responded), and on those which we are currently consulting:
- the proposed setting of a long-term standard for all domestic properties in Scotland and proposed phasing across privately owned domestic properties;
- a proposed statutory duty on local authorities to develop Local Heat & Energy Efficiency Strategies ( LHEES), setting out how they will deliver the Programme over the next 20 – 25 years;
- proposed regulation of district and communal heating, including requirements for licensing of district heating operators, and consenting of district heating projects; and
- consultation on the Energy Efficiency Standard for Social Housing – post 2020.