Impact on island communities
Specific areas which may lead to different impacts for island communities that were identified were:
- Poorer transport links might make implementing some proposals more difficult.
- Scottish Government finance and data leading environmental controls might make some landowners feel control is shifting away.
- Housing is an issue on islands which makes the challenge of attracting new entrants more difficult.
- Island communities have explained that due to poor connectivity with the mainland they often struggle to sustain industry and education.
- Any conditionality of support applied must recognise the starting position of a lot of the soils in fragile areas, including islands that are typically higher organic matter soils- and in the northwest highlands.
- More remote locations often have more fragile ecosystems.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback