We aim to grow our economy by making Scotland one of the best places in the world to do business. This means supporting and listening to small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) and working to deliver the type of support that meets their real needs.
Through Scotland CAN DO, we are working with public, private and third sector partners to:
- provide guidance and advice
- offer access to finance
- reduce the burden of business regulation
- promoting innovation and entrepreneurship
- maintain our existing Enterprise Areas to advance targeted industries
- provide digital support for businesses
- help social enterprises to achieve their aims
- encourage take-up of business rates relief
We are also:
- making it easier for businesses to get information and support through the find business support website
- increasing SME access to public contracts
- providing a skilled workforce
- helping prepare for Brexit
- supporting social enterprises
- trying to achieve inclusive growth
- promoting Regional Growth Deals
The Businesses in Scotland 2018 statistics show that in March 2018 there were an estimated 345,915 private sector enterprises operating in Scotland. Of these 343,535 were SMEs, which contributed 41.5% of private sector turnover and 54.9% of all private sector jobs.
Scotland’s business base is relatively small, with 750 enterprises per 10,000 adults compared with 1,059 enterprises per 10,000 adults in the UK as a whole.
In creating a supportive and competitive business environment, we aim to ensure that Scotland’s business base continues to grow, while also becoming more innovative and further our aims for international trade and investment.
Further information on the number and types of businesses operating in Scotland can be found in the Businesses in Scotland statistics.
Bills and legislation
The Regulatory Reform (Scotland) Act 2014 was designed to improve the way regulation is developed and applied. It promotes regulatory consistency, and the protection of workers and the environment. It resulted in the creation of the Scottish Regulators' Strategic Code of Practice.
The Non-Domestic Rates (Enterprise Areas) (Scotland) Regulations 2016 were created to enable business rates discounts in 14 Enterprise Area sites.
Central Enquiry Unit
Phone: 0300 244 4000
The Scottish Government
St Andrew's House