International trade and investment are vital to improving Scotland's competitiveness and reducing economic inequality.
We want to promote Scotland as an attractive place to live, work, invest and do business and to help Scottish businesses compete internationally.
We are adopting a 'One Scotland' approach to delivery. This means bringing together individuals, businesses and organisations with relevant experience and interests to promote international business and support opportunities.
We are supporting international trade and investment in Scotland by:
- attracting and supporting investors
- helping Scottish businesses become exporters
- supporting existing Scottish exporters
- establishing Innovation and Investment Hubs across Europe
- enhancing our international engagement
establishing a Ministerial Trade Board to help improve Scotland’s exporting performance
Specifically, in line with our 2018-19 Programme for Government commitments:
- we will help companies grow their businesses through a new national export plan – A Trading Nation – supported by over £20 million of investment
- our enterprise and skills agencies will continue their support for businesses to navigate through Brexit
- we will invest £2 million in a First Minister’s export challenge to intensively support 50 businesses per year to ramp up overseas activity and create 100 new business to business peer mentorships per year for new exporters
- we will expand the network of in-market specialists to identify untapped potential in overseas markets and support Scotland’s exporting interests
- we will increase export finance support for Scottish companies looking to enter new markets
Scotland’s international exports of goods and services increased by 34.6% between 2010 and 2017, from £24.1 billion to £32.4 billion. We want Scotland's exports to continue to increase, and for Scotland's economy and international profile to grow with them.
Global Scotland – Scotland’s Trade and Investment Strategy 2016-2021 sets out what we are doing to improve Scotland’s export performance, and to attract inward, capital and risk investment.
‘International’ and ‘Investment’ are two of the four key priorities identified for achieving sustainable economic growth in Scotland in our Economic Strategy.
Telephone: 0300 244 1305
Directorate for International Trade and Investment
Trade and Investment Delivery Division~
5 Atlantic Quay