Helping Scottish businesses become exporters
With the launch of A Trading Nation: a plan for growing Scotland's exports we are providing an evidence based and more focused support system that allows Scottish businesses to realise their exporting potential in existing and new markets and to secure new international opportunities.
We are delivering export support in collaboration with all of our partners including our enterprise agencies Scottish Enterprise (SE), Highlands and Islands Enterprise (HIE) and Scottish Development International (SDI) in a Team Scotland approach.
Some of the support for businesses includes:
- providing peer to peer mentoring as part of the First Minister’s export mentoring programme Export Champions
- promoting the global market opportunities as detailed within A Trading Nation
- understanding the key sectors and markets for Scotland’s products and services through our export performance monitor
- using role models such as GlobalScots to champion the benefits of exporting
- recognising and celebrating export success through business awards
Access to finance when it comes to exporting is important and helps to mitigate potential risks when supplying into international markets.
Businesses can get finance and insurance from the UK government’s export credit agency UK Export Finance (UKEF).
Through A Trading Nation we are making significant changes to the extent, nature and connectivity of Scotland’s international footprint:
- scale up the GlobalScot network, expanding from 600 to 2000 business people in key markets, including doubling to 500 in Europe by 2020
- strengthening our network of in-market specialists by adding up to 15 in-market specialists focused on the 15 countries that offer the greatest opportunity for growth
- evaluating our trade envoy programme and potentially treble the number of envoys
- a clearer role for our vast alumni networks
- increased and focused programme of ministerial trade missions
- maintaining links with UK Government Department for International Trade and Trade Commissioners to increase awareness of Scotland’s export priorities
In addition we are providing up to £2 million to the Scottish chambers of commerce network over the next three years to deliver a range of inward and outward trade missions to help Scottish businesses make connections with potential trade opportunities.