1. When the research started, Sally Shortall was based in Queen's University Belfast. The research project moved with her to Newcastle University in October 2016.
2. The chi square test, with continuity correction applied for 2x2 tables ( https://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-devel/library/stats/html/chisq.test.html); or Fisher's exact test ( https://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-devel/library/stats/html/fisher.test.html) if expected cell totals were inadequate (as per assumptions noted in Freeman, J.V. and Julious, S.A. (2007) The analysis of categorical data. Scope, 16(1): 18-21. Further descriptions of these tests are available in statistical references. Where Fisher's exact test was used for tables larger than 2x2, the p value was generated using 'Monte Carlo simulation'.
3. The CAP intentions survey was representative of Scotland's farming population.
4. Source: NFUS web-site 17 April 2017 https://www.nfus.org.uk/about-nfus/directors. In contrast, 1/3 office holders of the NFU (England) are female - Deputy President Minette Batters.
8. Source: photo at https://rhass.org.uk/what-we-do/senior-office-bearers-2015-2016/
10. Source: https://www.nfus.org.uk/About%20NFUS/Staff