8. Construction of water projects and water transport service activities
For ease of description, in this report the joint industry sector will be referred to as 'Marine construction and water transport services'.
The two industry classes 42.91: 'Construction of water projects' and 52.22: 'Service activities incidental to water transportation' have been combined so that the data is non-disclosive. Marine construction and water transport services are key for connectivity and supporting growth for the marine economy.
The SABS category of Construction of water projects covers:
- waterways, harbour and river works, pleasure ports (marinas), locks, etc.,
- dams and dykes,
- dredging of waterways.
It excludes project management activities related to civil engineering works.
The SABS category of Service activities incidental to water transportation includes:
- activities related to water transport of passengers, animals or freight,
- operation of terminal facilities such as harbours and piers and operation of waterway locks etc.,
- navigation, pilotage and berthing activities,
- lighterage (the transference of cargo by means of a lighter), salvage activities,
- lighthouse activities.
This class excludes cargo handling and operation of marinas.
8.2 Key economic points
In 2018, marine construction and water transport services generated £557 million in GVA: accounting for 0.39% of the overall Scottish economy, and 13% of the marine economy.
Marine construction and water transport services provided employment for 4,000 workers, contributing 0.15% to total Scottish employment, and 5% of the marine economy employment.
8.3 Construction and water transport services – trends
Marine construction and water transport services GVA decreased by 11%, while employment fell by 9% between 2017 and 2018.
The longer term trends have been variable, but generally increasing. Construction and water transport services GVA increased by 26% and employment increased by 29% between 2009 and 2018.
|Year||GVA||Turnover||Employment||GVA Per Head|
Geographic breakdown of construction and water transport services are not readily available.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback