8. Construction of Water Projects and Water Transport Service Activities
For ease of description, in this report the joint industry sector will be referred to as 'Marine construction and water transport services'.
The two industry classes 42.91: 'Construction of water projects' and 52.22: 'Service activities incidental to water transportation' have been combined so that the data is not disclosive. Marine construction and water transport services are key for connectivity and supporting growth for the marine economy.
The SABS category of Construction of water projects covers:
- waterways, harbour and river works, pleasure ports (marinas), locks, etc.
- dams and dykes
- dredging of waterways
It excludes project management activities related to civil engineering works.
The SABS category of Service activities incidental to water transportation includes:
- activities related to water transport of passengers, animals or freight:
- operation of terminal facilities such as harbours and piers and operation of waterway locks etc.
- navigation, pilotage and berthing activities
- lighterage (the transference of cargo by means of a lighter), salvage activities
- lighthouse activities
This class excludes cargo handling and operation of marinas.
8.2 Key economic points
In 2017, construction and water transport services generated £591 million in GVA: accounting for 0.44% of the overall Scottish economy, and 11% of the marine economy.
Marine construction and water transport services provided employment for 4,300 workers, contributing 0.17% to total Scottish employment, and 6% of the marine economy employment.
8.3 Construction and water transport services - trends
Marine construction and water transport services GVA increased by 37%, while employment rose by 8% between 2016 and 2017.
The longer term trends have been variable, but generally increasing. Construction and water transport services GVA increased by 83% and employment increased by 65%. between 2008 and 2017.
| Employment Headcount
GVA Per Worker
Geographic breakdown of construction and water transport services are not readily available.