Table 1: Number of people employed by public and private sector; Scotland, Headcount
These tables include comparisons for Q4 in 1999 and 2015 to 2021 only. A complete time series, including all quarters back to Q1 1999 is provided in the excel spreadsheets published at the public sector employment web section https://www.gov.scot/publications/public-sector-employment-statistics-web-tables/
Not Seasonally Adjusted
|Quarter||Total Employment Level [note 6]||Private Sector Level [note 2]||Private Sector Percentage of total employment [note 2]||Public Sector Level||Public Sector Percentage of total employment||Estimated Private Sector (including major reclassifications) Level [note 3][note 4]||Estimated Private Sector (including major reclassifications) Percentage of total employment [note 3][note 4]||Estimated Public Sector (excluding major reclassifications) Level [note 3][note 5]||Estimated Public Sector (excluding major reclassifications) Percentage of total employment [note 3][note 5]|
|Change on year to:|
|Q4 2021||43,480||27,150||-0.3 p.p.||16,330||0.3 p.p.||27,000||-0.3 p.p.||16,000||0.3 p.p.|
|% change on year:|
Important Note: Estimates for total employment and private sector employment are based on the Labour Force Survey, ONS. Labour Force Survey (LFS) estimates from Jan-Mar 2020 onwards were reweighted in July 2021 to new populations derived using growth rates from HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) Real Time Information (RTI) to allow for different trends during the Covid-19 pandemic. These revisions were included in the PSE publication released on 14 September 2021. Q4 2020 LFS estimates in this table may differ from those previously published in the Q4 2020 PSE publication.
p.p. - percentage points
1. Employment figures have been rounded to the nearest hundred, unless otherwise stated. Change on year rounded to the nearest ten. Totals may not equal the sum of individual parts due to rounding.
2. Private sector is derived as the difference between the Labour Force Survey 'Total employment' workforce based estimate for the whole of Scotland (not seasonally adjusted) and the public sector estimate (derived from individual organisation statistical returns).
3. Major reclassifications include: Royal Bank of Scotland plc, Lloyds Banking Group plc, Northern Rock plc, Lloyds TSB Commercial Finance, Lloyds Bank Asset Finance, Scottish Widows, Direct Line, Royal Mail Group plc, Post Office Ltd (until Q2 2006), Network Rail, Registered Social Landlords and Train Operating Companies.
4. Private sector including major reclassifications includes the figures for the above organisations in the private sector series when they were part of the public sector and are rounded to the nearest thousand.
5. Public sector excluding major reclassifications excludes the figures for the above organisations from the public sector series when they were part of the public sector and are rounded to the nearest thousand.
6. Total employment figures are rounded to the nearest thousand and are taken from Labour Force Survey (LFS).
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback