- 23 Mar 2016
When will I be given the EPC for the property I may want to rent?
When you first make enquires about renting the property. If the property has been advertised for rent in commercial media, the energy rating should be included in the advert.
I have not been provided with an EPC, what should I do?
If the landlord does not provide an EPC and you are a prospective or new tenant, report this to the Local authority. Landlords have a legal obligation to provide this information free of charge, and could be subject to a fine if they fail to do so.
I have renewed my lease, but have not been provided with an EPC. Should I have?
No. Landlords are only required to provide EPCs to new tenants, tenants who renew the lease on a property will not be given an new EPC.
My Landlord has not made the improvements suggested on the EPC, can I insist that these are done?
No, you should speak to your landlord about making improvements. You should not make any changes to the property without their consent.
My energy costs are more expensive than those shown on the EPC, why is this?
EPCs are intended enable a comparison between properties on a like-for-like basis. The energy costs on an EPC are calculated using standard assertions of occupancy and use patterns. The EPC calculation does not assess the energy used for cooking or using appliances, only the energy use linked to the building itself, such as heating and lighting.
We also produce a number of other EPC guidance documents that deal with specific issues:
- EPC-01, introduction
- EPC-02, new dwellings and non-domestic buildings
- EPC-03, information for private landlords
- EPC-04, information for private tenants
- EPC-05, information for social landlords
- EPC-07, guidance on representative sampling
- EPC-08, frequently asked questions
- EPC-09, requirement to display an EPC
- EPC-10, high-efficiency alternative systems
- EPC-11, guidance on changes to production
- EPC-12, guidance on holiday let accommodation
Telephone: 0131 244 6511
Scottish Government Building Standards Division
Almondvale Business Park