Energy Performance Certificates: guide

Guidance on the use of Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) which provide information about how energy efficient a building is, and how the efficiency could be improved.

Holiday let accommodation

Where an EPC is required

Certain types of short term lets are required by law to hold a valid EPC. They must also include the rating in commercial media (see display requirements for more information). 

Where a holiday purchase does not allow the buyer to select the specific accommodation at the time of booking, there is no requirement for an EPC. In these circumstances an EPC would not be produced as the specific accommodation to be allocated would not have been identified.

An EPC may be required as part of a Short Term Lets License application. We provide guidance on information that may be required as part of a Short Term Lets License application.

Where an EPC is not required

As with other types of let, an EPC is not required where only a room within a building (such as a hotel room) is being let. 

Other examples where an EPC is not required include:

  • caravan holiday homes
  • bed and breakfast/guest house accommodation
  • certain holiday parks


If an EPC is required, an EPC assessor will be able to advise whether a domestic or non-domestic EPC can be produced. You can find an assessor using the Scottish EPC Register Assessor search. Your local authority may also be able to provide assistance in determining the requirements for a property. It is the responsibility of the owner to ensure that the building is described in a consistent manner e.g. in adverts or contractual documents.

Read how to get an EPC for more information.


Energy Performance of Buildings (Scotland) Regulations 2008 do not contain a general exemption for holiday let accommodation. 

Local authorities have the powers to enforce the regulations. If a building owner is unsure about their obligations under these regulations they could seek their own legal advice.




Back to top