Energy Performance Certificates: guide

Guidance on the use of Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) which provide information about how energy efficient a building is, and how the efficiency could be improved.

Mixed use buildings

A mixed use building is one that contains both domestic and non-domestic parts.


If a mixed use building is sold or let in its entirety, an EPC will be required for each dwelling and a further EPC for the non-domestic part (or parts) of the building.

Where individual parts of the non-dwelling parts of a building are designed or altered to be used separately (e.g. retail units within a shopping mall), separate EPCs may be produced for each building unit part rather than one certificate. The benefit of this approach may depend on the complexity and subdivision of the building spaces.

In such cases an EPC assessor will provide advice on the most suitable option for the building.



Back to top