This shows the number of children looked after and the children on the child protection register. As at 31 July 2021:
- 14,946 children in Scotland were Looked After or on the Child Protection Register, representing 1.5% of Scotland’s under 18 population. The icons of boys and girls reflect a visual depiction 1.5% of Scotland’s population as being looked after or on the child protection register.
- 13,255 children and young people were looked after.
- 2,104 children were on the child protection register.
- 413 children were both looked after and on the child protection register.
Compared with 2020 there was:
- 8% decrease in the number of Looked After Children
- 20% decrease in the number of children on the Child Protection Register
This illustration also shows that 76 children, on average, were in secure care accommodation. Compared with 2020, 6 fewer young people, on average, resided in Secure Care Accommodation.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback