Calculating carbon savings from wind farms on Scottish peat lands: a new approach
The objectives of this project were to:
- Critically assess the SNH guidance document (Windfarms & Carbon Savings, Technical Guidance Note; 2003) and highlight areas of uncertainty.
- Model the impacts of installation and operation of wind farms on peat soils taking into account the wider potential impacts on peat land hydrology and decomposition of organic matter.
- Produce a revised estimate of potential greenhouse gas ( GHG) emissions and the time taken to start seeing C savings if energy is generated by wind turbines rather that by fossil fuels.
- Produce a concise technical method which is transparent and easy to follow for estimating the impacts of wind farms on C dynamics on peat land soils and the wider C life cycle aspects.
- Organise a workshop to explain the methodology and approach used in producing the new method and respond to concerns or questions raised by stakeholders.