1. The Scottish Government's policies on food are set out in, Recipe For Success - Scotland's National Food and Drink Policy, which can be found at: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2009/06/25133322/0 . A discussion document on implementation of the phase of the policy can be found at: http://news.scotland.gov.uk/News/Becoming-a-Good-Food-Nation-dd6.aspx.
2. For more information on SRUC see: http://www.sruc.ac.uk/
3. For more background on the HIVSS see: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/farmingrural/Rural/crofting-policy/support-for-crofting/HIVSS
4. For more information see: http://www.gov.scot/Topics/farmingrural/SRDP
5. For more information see: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/farmingrural/Rural/business/veterinary
6. For more information on skills development see: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/farmingrural/Rural/business/skills
7. The Sector Skills Council that supports skills and training for people and businesses in the land-based and environmental sector. For more information see: http://www.lantra.co.uk/
8. For more information on Scot EID see: http://www.scoteid.com/
9. Further information on the health and welfare research can be found at http://www.knowledgescotland.org/userfiles/healthwelfaretheme6.pdf
10. For more background on EPIC see: http://epicscotland.org/
11. For more information on the Honey Bee Health Strategy see: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2010/06/23102211/0
12. For more information on recent publications of Rural Scotland Key Facts see: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Statistics/Browse/Agriculture-Fisheries/PubRural
15. Non-statutory diseases are diseases that are not covered by legislation.
16. For more information on the SSPCA see: http://www.scottishspca.org/
18. In the last 10 years the number of occupiers over 65 keeping livestock has increased by 400 to 5,400. In the same period the number of livestock keepers has fallen by 1,900 to 19,500.
19. Since 2004 the number of smallholders keeping livestock ( i.e. those farms with a Standard Labour Requirement of less than 0.5) has increased by over 1,500 to 15,500.
21. For example, Costs and Benefits of Preventing Animal Diseases: A review focusing on endemic diseases, see: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2005/01/20496/49533, and also between animal welfare and profitability ( e.g. Profiting from Animal Welfare: an Animal-Based Perspective, see: http://www.ofc.org.uk/files/ofc/papers/lawrence-09.pdf ].
22. For more information see: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/farmingrural/Rural/business/veterinary
23. For more information on QMS see: http://www.qmscotland.co.uk/
24. For more information on the animal health and welfare research programme see: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Research/by-topic/Agri-Fisheries-Rural/animalhealthandwelfare1
26. For more information on APHA see: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/animal-and-plant-health-agency
27. For more information on Border Force see: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/border-force
28. For more information on BVD see: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/farmingrural/Agriculture/animal-welfare/Diseases/disease/bvd
29. For more information see: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2013/12/4967
31. Scot EID works with the Scottish livestock sector and Scottish Government to design, develop and deliver traceability systems. For more information see: http://www.scoteid.com/
32. For more information see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/uk-5-year-antimicrobial-resistance-strategy-2013-to-2018
33. For more information see: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Environment/climatechange
34. For more information see: http://www.knowledgescotland.org/briefings.php?
35. For more information see: http://www.sruc.ac.uk/info/120593/improving_farm_profitability/181/optimising_livestock_management
36. For more information see: http://www.knowledgescotland.org/briefings.php?
37. For more information see: http://www.sruc.ac.uk/downloads/file/1213/liver_fluke_risk_in_a_changing_climate
38. For more information see: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2013/06/5538
39. The FAWC report on animal welfare and health can be found at: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/fawc-report-on-farm-animal-welfare-health-and-disease