Table 1.1 shows the number of school, pupils and teachers in publicly funded schools in Scotland. In September 2013 there were 102,871 children in 2,504 pre-schools, 377,382 pupils in 2,056 primary schools, 289,164 pupils in 364 secondary schools and 6,984 pupils in 149 special schools. The proportion of pupils in special schools continues to be about one per cent, however the number of pupils in special schools has increased from 6,673 in 2009 to 6,984 in 2013. The total number of teachers in all sectors was 51,078, 175 fewer than the revised 2012 figure of 51,253.
The pre-school and primary teacher numbers for 2010 onwards have been amended to remove teachers who were double counted as a result of working in both sectors. The amendments to the primary sector account for about 0.2% in each year, the changes to the pre-school sector account for around a 2% decrease in 2010 and 2011, and a 7% decrease in 2012. Therefore, any previously published figures based on 2010, 2011 or 2012 pre-school or primary teacher numbers should not be used. See background note 3.4 for details.
Table 1.1: Schools, pupils, teachers and pupil teacher ratios (PTR) for all publicly funded schools by school sector, 2006 to 2013
|Total (excludes pre-school)||702,737||692,215||681,573||676,740||673,133||670,511||671,218||673,530|
|Pre-schools(1) (2)||1,704||1,689||1,650||1,630||1,524 |||1,461||1,386||1,288|
|Total (inc pre-school)(2)||54,747||55,100||54,347||53,001||52,022|||51,368||51,253||51,078|
(1) From 2010 pre-school figures are not directly comparable with previous years. Pre-school centre count includes local authority and partnership centres. Pre-school teachers figures now include pre-school home visiting. See background note 3.15.
(2) 2010, 2011, 2012 pre-school, primary, school and total teacher FTE and PTRs revised, see background note 3.4.
(3) All school-based and centrally employed teachers contribute to this ratio. Includes grant aided pupils and teachers.
(4) All school-based teachers contribute to this ratio.
(5) Pre-school pupil and school figures for 2012 have been amended to include the revised 2012 figures.
Email: Kieran Furness