In April and May 2019, the Scottish Government carried out a survey with Experience Panel members to understand their thoughts on renaming disability benefits when they are transferred from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to Social Security Scotland. The research explored:
- what Experience Panel members liked and disliked about the current DWP disability benefit names;
- what Experience Panel members liked and disliked about the proposed new disability benefit names and any alternative suggestions;
- views on words Social Security Scotland should avoid using when naming a benefit;
- views on words Social Security Scotland should use when naming a benefit; and
- views on other proposed name changes such as staff titles.
This work was part of the Scottish Government's Social Security Experience Panels programme of research. In total, 278 Experience Panel members with experience of the relevant benefits took part in this survey (a response rate of 14 per cent). The findings of this survey reflect the views of the respondents only. This report details the findings and key themes that emerged from this work.