Self-directed Support : my support, my choice: your guide to social care

A guide to help you if you are getting social care support or if you are thinking of getting support

Option 3

"I let the council decide how to spend the money"

What is option 3?

Under option 3 you work with the professional to choose the support that is right for you. The difference from option 2 is that you are not in charge of how the money is spent. This is commonly called 'arranged services' meaning services arranged by your council.

But taking option 3 does not mean that you have given up all control over your support. The council should still work with you to find support that is right for you. It just means that you let the council suggest which support you should have and, if you're happy with their suggestion, arrange it for you.

What if I decide I want to take more control?

You can decide if you want to take more or less control over your support. You need to speak to your social worker first and let them know it is not working out for you. Then there should be a review of your support needs (see 'Reviewing your support').

Rachel's story

Rachel is 11 years old and lives with her family. She has cerebral palsy and requires the use of a wheelchair. Rachel has significant personal care support needs but attends mainstream school and lives life to the full.

She currently receives support from social work in the form of home care twice a day to assist with getting showered, dressed and ready for school and bed. She also receives a sitting service one evening per week to allow her parents some time away from their caring role.

Rachel and her family are mostly happy with the support they receive but they do have some concerns. Such as sometimes the staff are not consistent and are often not as energetic and active as Rachel would like.

Another concern is the sitter cannot take any responsibility for Rachel's siblings or friends who may want to visit.

Rachel's family get in touch with the social work and her support is then reviewed by her social worker who listens to the concerns raised by Rachel and her family.

After this conversation the social worker asks the home care service to provide Rachel with consistent workers who are active and full of energy. She will also speak to the sitter service so Rachel's siblings and friends can also spend time with her doing activities they all can be involved in and work with Rachel in doing things that she enjoys.

When the home care provider and sitter service agreed to this, Rachel and her family were happy to continue to have their care arranged and provided through the council using option 3.


Email: Hetaher Palmer

Back to top