3. Devolved Public Sector Employment in Scotland; Headcount (see Table 4)
The devolved public sector includes:
- Devolved Civil Service (see section 5);
- Local Government, covering Scottish Local Authorities, Police and Fire Services (up to Q1 2013), Valuation Joint Boards and Regional Transport Partnerships;
- Police and Fire Services (Q2 2013 onwards)
- NHS in Scotland;
- Further Education Colleges;
- Devolved Public Corporations;
- Other Devolved Public Bodies (which covers Non-Departmental Bodies and other bodies).
Employment in the devolved public sector has increased by 2,390 (+0.5%) over the last year, from 501,900 in Q4 2016 to 504,300 in Q4 2017. Chart 4 shows the composition of the devolved public sector as at Q4 2017.
Chart 4: Breakdown of Devolved Public Sector Employment by Category, Headcount, Q4 2017
Source: Public Sector Employment in Scotland, Quarter 4 2017
Note: Totals may not equal the sum of the individual parts due to rounding
Over the year:
Employment in Scottish Local Government increased by 720 (+0.3%) over the year to 243,000 in Q4 2017.
Employment in the NHS increased by 1,140 (+0.7%) over the year to 163,400 in Q4 2017. A detailed breakdown on this information by staffing group was published by ISD on the 6 th March 2018: http://www.isdscotland.org/Health-Topics/Workforce/
The number of Police and Fire Service employees decreased by 270 (-1.0%) to 27,600 in Q4 2017.
The devolved civil service saw an increase of 430 (+2.5%) in employment between Q4 2016 and Q4 2017.
Employment in other public bodies increased by 90 (+0.6%) to 15,400 in Q4 2017.
Employment in Further Education colleges decreased by 30 (-0.2%) to 13,900 in Q4 2017.
Employment in public corporations increased by 310 (+1.4%) over the year to 23,000 in Q4 2017.