4. Reserved Public Sector Employment in Scotland; Headcount (see Table 5)
This section provides a summary of reserved public sector employment which includes:
- Reserved Civil Service (see section 5);
- Armed Forces;
- Reserved Public Corporations and Public Sector Financial Institutions;
- Other Reserved Public Bodies (which covers Non-Departmental Bodies and other bodies).
The number of people employed in the reserved public sector decreased by 680 (-1.2%) to 55,700 in Q4 2017.
The estimated reserved public sector excluding the effects of the major reclassifications decreased by 280 (-0.6%) to 42,900 in Q4 2017.
Chart 5 shows the composition of the reserved public sector as at Q4 2017.
Chart 5: Breakdown of Reserved Public Sector Employment by Sector, Headcount, Q4 2017
Source: Public Sector Employment in Scotland, Quarter 4 2017
Note: Totals may not equal the sum of the individual parts due to rounding.
Over the year:
- Employment levels for the Reserved Civil Service decreased by 150 (-0.6%);
- Employment levels for Public Corporations & Public Sector Financial Institutions  decreased by 490 (-4.4%) from 11,200 in Q4 2016 to 10,700 in Q4 2017;
- Employment levels for the Armed Forces decreased by 170 (-1.7%);
- Employment levels for Public Bodies increased by 130 (+1.3%).