1. More information on the classification of organisations and institutions in the National Accounts are available in the Sector Classification Guide: http://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/uksectoraccounts/articles/nationalaccountssectorclassifications/previousReleases
2. Major reclassifications include Royal Bank of Scotland plc, Lloyds Banking Group plc, Northern Rock plc, Lloyds TSB Commercial Finance, Lloyds Bank Asset Finance, Scottish Widows, Direct Line, Royal Mail Group plc, Post Office Ltd (until Q2 2006) and Network Rail.
3. Employment in reserved public corporations and public sector financial institutions over the last year has been significantly affected by the reclassification of both Royal Mail Group plc., Direct Line Group and Lloyds Banking Group plc. (and subsidiaries) into the private sector.
4. The reclassification of Lloyds Banking Group plc. has meant it is no longer possible to produce a separate public sector financial institutions employment series to ensure individual organisation employment figures are not disclosed. Public corporations have been combined with public sector financial institutions to create a new grouping.
5. When interpreting changes over time in the devolved civil service in Scotland it should be noted that due to organisational changes, staff have transferred between the Scottish Government core directorates and agencies. Detail about the above changes can be found in the background notes. http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Statistics/Browse/Labour-Market/PublicSectorEmployment/SourcesDef
6. Other Civil Service includes Home Office, Ministry of Justice, Department for Transport, Food Standards Agency (until 31 March 2015), Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, Business, Innovation and Skills, Energy and Climate Change, Chancellor's Other Departments and Other Cabinet Office Agencies.
Email: Claire Gordon