1. More information on the classification of organisations and institutions in the National Accounts are available in the Sector Classification Guide: http://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/uksectoraccounts/articles/nationalaccountssectorclassifications/previousReleases
2. Major reclassifications include Royal Bank of Scotland plc, Lloyds Banking Group plc, Northern Rock plc, Lloyds TSB Commercial Finance, Lloyds Bank Asset Finance, Scottish Widows, Direct Line, Royal Mail Group plc,(known as the Post Office Ltd (until Q2 2006)), Network Rail and Registered Social Landlords. Registered Social Landlords have recently been classified as being part of the public sector since Q3 2001 and have been included as a major reclassification.
3. For further details on the make-up of the Scottish Public Sector, please see the background notes for this publication: http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Statistics/Browse/Labour-Market/PublicSectorEmployment/SourcesDef
4. The reclassification of Lloyds Banking Group plc. has meant it is no longer possible to produce a separate public sector financial institutions employment series to ensure individual organisation employment figures are not disclosed. Public corporations have been combined with public sector financial institutions to create a new grouping.
5. When interpreting changes over time in the devolved civil
service in Scotland it should be noted that due to organisational
changes, staff have transferred between the Scottish Government
core directorates and agencies. Detail about the above changes can
be found in the background notes.
6. Scottish Government Agencies includes Scottish Prison Service, Disclosure Scotland, Transport Scotland, Student Awards Agency for Scotland, Scottish Public Pensions Agency, Accountant in Bankruptcy and Historic Scotland until Q3 2015.
7. Q2 2017 headcount and FTE figures have been used for Q3 2017 for DWP. Actual figures for Q3 2017 will be provided in the March 2018 publication.
8. Other Civil Service includes Home Office, Ministry of Justice, Department for Transport, Food Standards Agency (until 31 March 2015), Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, Chancellor's Other Departments, Department for International Trade, HM Treasury, Office of Gas and Electricity Markets, Office of Rail and Road, UK Export Finance and Cabinet Office.