3. Devolved Public Sector Employment in Scotland; Headcount
(see Table 4)
The devolved public sector includes:
- Devolved Civil Service (see section 5);
- Local Government, covering Scottish Local Authorities, Police and Fire Services (up to Q1 2013), Valuation Joint Boards and Regional Transport Partnerships;
- Police and Fire Services (Q2 2013 onwards)
- NHS in Scotland;
- Further Education Colleges;
- Devolved Public Corporations;
- Other Devolved Public Bodies (which covers Non-Departmental Bodies and other bodies).
Employment in the devolved public sector has increased by 2,140 (+0.4%) over the last year, from 501,000 in Q3 2016 to 503,100 in Q3 2017. Chart 4 shows the composition of the devolved public sector as at Q3 2017.
Chart 4: Breakdown of Devolved Public Sector Employment by Category, Headcount, Q3 2017
Source: Public Sector Employment in Scotland, Quarter 3 2017
Note: Totals may not equal the sum of the individual parts due to rounding
Over the year:
Employment in Scottish Local Government increased by 1,520 (+0.6%) over the year to 243,000 in Q3 2017.
Employment in the NHS increased by 890 (+0.5%) over the year to 162,700 in Q3 2017. A detailed breakdown on this information by staffing group was published by ISD on the 5 th December 2017: http://www.isdscotland.org/Health-Topics/Workforce/
The number of Police and Fire Service employees decreased by 430 (-1.5%), from 28,100 in Q3 2016 to 27,700 in Q3 2017.
The devolved civil service saw an increase of 320 (+1.9%) in employment between Q3 2016 and Q3 2017.
Employment in other public bodies increased by 20 (+0.1%) to 15,500 in Q3 2017.
Employment in Further Education colleges decreased by 490 (-3.5%) to 13,500 in Q3 2017.
Employment in public corporations increased by 320 (+1.4%) over the year to 23,000 in Q3 2017.