Pig identification and registration: guidance for keepers

This guide explains the new rules for pig identification and registration.

Getting started

In order to keep pigs you are required to register where they are kept (known as the holding) with your local Rural Payments and Inspections Directorate (RPID) Office (contact details at Annex A) within 30 days from the date you first keep pigs.

RPID will provide you with a County Parish Holding (CPH) number which is a unique code allocated to the land where animals are kept. The CPH code is used when reporting and recording animal movements. It is important that you obtain your CPH number before you move pigs on or off your holding.

You must also inform your local Animal Health Veterinary Laboratory Agency (AHVLA) divisional office (contact details at Annex B) where you are going to keep pigs and they will give you a herdmark for your holding. The herdmark is allocated to the holding and must be used to identify all animals born on the holding.

If you cease to keep pigs on your holding you must inform your local AHVLA office within 30 days from the date you last kept pigs.

Back to top