APPENDIX 3 TRAINING OUTLINE
The following is provided for guidance when developing a training programme to support Peer Mentoring opportunities for Looked After Children and Care Leavers. It is clearly not prescriptive and additional content is likely to be required depending on the focus of any particular project.
The outline is based on a minimum of 10 sessions (2 hours each) and reflects the programmes shared by a few organisations during the course of this project.
Thanks are due again to those who have willing shared their experience and expertise.
- Introductions - the project; training outline and expectations; baseline learning needs
- Values, discrimination and stereotypes
- Confidentiality and boundaries - including legislation, rights, and responsibilities
- Personal safety- including basic first aid
- Understanding adolescence and young people's development
- Managing challenging behaviours
- Child Protection* and/or Adult Support and Protection
- Mentoring role and skills (1)
Communication, engagement, matching, goal/task setting
- Mentoring role and skills (2)
Record keeping, reviewing, endings and evaluating
- Review and round up
Evaluation of training input
*It is suggested that Local Authority training, levels 1 and 2, be undertaken by peer mentors
Additional content and/or sessions should be considered as appropriate e.g. drugs/alcohol, homelessness, new tenancy.
Email: Eliza Brush