1. Marine Scotland, Marine Social Attitudes: Survey, by The Scottish Government (The Scottish Government, 2020).
2. Hereafter referred to as MPAs
5. Marine Scotland, Scottish Marine Protected Areas: Socio-Economic Monitoring, by The Scottish Government (The Scottish Government, 2017).
6. It should be noted that some of these overlap, and some were protected by existing designations.
7. Owners/masters of vessels with an overall length of 10 metres and under are required to complete a FISH1 form, as they are not fitted with VMS. This includes information about the date and duration of each fishing voyage, the gear used, weight and species landed, port of departure and landing, and the co-ordinates where most of the fishing took place.
10. International Council for the Exploration of the Sea
11. Many of the MPAs have some zonal management, and so there may be small areas where creeling is prohibited
12. This is defined as spending more than 2 hours at fishing speeds
13. Before MPA management measures were introduced, and when VMS was widely adopted
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback