2.1. Within Government
Consultation has been undertaken with policy colleagues within Marine Scotland, including aquaculture, sea fisheries, nature conservation, marine renewables, compliance as well as with colleagues in other UK government departments such as the Ministry of Defence and the Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (Defra). Their inputs were used in development of the Policy Framework.
2.2. Public Consultation
To help guide our engagement we have produced a Stakeholder Engagement Plan. This sets out how and when stakeholders can engage throughout the process of designating HPMAs, from bilateral engagement to cross-sectoral workshops and formal consultations.
Initial direct engagement with stakeholders was carried out in Spring and Summer 2022 to introduce the commitment, plan for delivery and inform development of the Policy Framework and Site Selection Guidelines. Stakeholders engaged at this stage included:
- Association of Scottish Shellfish Growers (ASSG)
- British Trout Association (BTA)
- Regional Inshore Fisheries Groups including:
- North and East Coast Regional Inshore Fisheries Group (NECRIFG)
- Orkney Sustainable Fisheries (Regional Inshore Fisheries Group)
- Outer Hebrides Regional Inshore Fishery Group
- Shetland Fisherman's Association (SFA)
- West Coast Regional Inshore Fisheries Group (WCRIFG)
- Scottish Creel Fishermen's Federation (SCFF)
- Scottish Fishermen's Federation (SFF)
- Scottish Renewables
- Scottish Salmon Producers' Organisation (SSPO)
- Scottish Seaweed Industry Association (SSIA)
- Scottish White Fish Producers Association (SWFPA)
Following the end of public consultation, the Policy Framework and Site Selection Guidelines will be finalised and published.
A phase of site selection and assessment will then begin. During this phase, a series of cross-sectoral themed workshops will allow stakeholders to contribute to and comment on proposals as they emerge. A final public consultation on the proposed locations for HPMAs will be held in 2025.
This section will be updated following public consultation and stakeholder engagement undertaken as part of the site selection process.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback