Costs of learning: student funding guide 2019 to 2020

Funding guide for learners and students including those going to college or university.

Part-time Higher Education


Eligible learners can apply for the Part-time Fee Grant from the Student Awards Agency Scotland. The level of tuition fee will be pro-rata on the number of SCQF credits you study. We will scale this down based on the maximum fee levels we award to full-time students (120 credits). The maximum Part-time Fee Grant we can award will be:

  • £1,805 for publicly funded degree level courses
  • £1,820 for eligble 120 credit degree level courses at non-campus universities
  • £1,274 for publicly funded Higher National awards (HNC/HND)
  • £1,195 for all courses at private providers

To get this funding you should be 16 or over and have a personal income of £25,000 a year or less. You should also be studying a part-time Higher Education course, Professional Development Award (PDAs) or Continuing Professional Development (CPD) at SCQF levels 7-10* and complete between 30-119 SCQF credits per year. Speak to your college or university or call Student Awards Agency Scotland on 0300 300 3137 or visit to find out if your course qualifies.

If you wish to study a part-time Higher Education course that is less than 30 SCQF credits you may still be able to get up to £200 towards the cost of the course through an Individual Training Account (ITA)*. If you are over 16, have a personal income of £22,000 a year or less and are not already engaged in Scottish Government funded learning or training, you may be eligible for this funding. For more information on the full eligibility criteria and the courses which ITA can be used to support visit"

Living costs

Your college or university may be able to give you extra support from their part-time Discretionary Fund. Colleges and universities can provide flexible support for part-time students which you can use for study costs, travel costs and childcare costs which the college or university will base on your individual need rather than on fixed levels of income.

Help for disabled students

If you are disabled and are studying by distance learning or studying part-time you may also be eligible for the Disabled Student's Allowance (DSA), which is not based on your income. Providing you are studying for at least 50% of the length of the full time course (for Open University students this is the equivalent of 60 credits per year) and you do not take more than twice the length of time of the standard full time course to complete your studies.

More information on part-time postgraduate funding can be found at

Part-time Higher Education

For more information on support for students on a part-time Higher Education course, please contact SAAS, your university, college, Open University or SDS.



Back to top