Dundee agglomeration: noise action plan
This plan is one in a suite of six noise action plans produced under the terms of the Environmental Noise Directive (END).
1. WHO defines health as a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity. See WHO (2011) Burden of disease from environmental noise: Quantification of healthy life years lost in Europe. http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/136466/e94888.pdf
2. END required competent authorities to draw up "strategic noise maps" for major roads, railways, airports and agglomerations, using harmonised noise indicators L den (day-evening-night equivalent level) and L night (night equivalent level).
3. Scotland's trunk road network covers a distance of 3,500 kilometres with 1,900 bridges and 3,700 other structures.
4. Scotland's rail network comprises 2,729 kilometres of railway - 23% electrified - with 344 stations leased by First ScotRail and 4 others operated by Network Rail (Glasgow Central and Edinburgh Waverley), GNER (Dunbar), or a private company (Prestwick International Airport). Two thirds of rail passenger journeys were supported by the west of Scotland commuter network, and one third were elsewhere in Scotland.
5. Local authorities manage and maintain local roads, which comprise approximately 94% of Scotland's roads (around 56,000km).
9. It is important to note that at this stage in the Action Planning process it has been decided by the Scottish Government Working Groups, through consultation with SEPA and the relevant local authorities, that an industrial noise source or an area affected by industrial noise should not be included in the prioritisation matrix and that any prioritisation, or noise intervention, of such industrial areas/sources should be at the request of the regulatory authority.
11. Aircraft and road traffic noise and children's cognition and health: A crosssectional study. Lancet, 365, p1942-1949 : Stansfeld, S.A., Berglund, B., Clark,C., Lopez-Barrio, I., Fischer, P., Öhrström, E., Haines, M.M., Head, J., Hygge, S.,van Kamp, I., & Berry, B.F. (2005)
12. Soundscapes in city parks and suburban green parks. In: Proceedings of Euronoise 2006 : Tampere, Finland, Nilsson ME, Berglund B (2006).
13. Research into quiet areas. Recommendations for identification : Defra. 2006. http://randd.defra.gov.uk/Default.aspx?Menu=Menu&Module=More&Location=None&Completed=0&ProjectID=14839
15. 2011 Census data
16. Mid-2008 population data for Monifieth (8,220) and an estimate of population of Ballumbie Castle area (750)
17. Mid-2008 population data for Invergowrie (Perth & Kinross) (1720)
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback