- The number of diversion from prosecution cases commenced rose by 7 per cent between 2017-18 and 2018-19 to over 1,800.
- A total of 340 bail supervision cases were commenced in 2018-19, the first rise in numbers since 2013-14 and a 26 per cent increase on 2017-18.
- The number of criminal justice social work reports (including supplementary reports) fell by five per cent to 27,300 in 2018-19. Numbers have dropped by a sixth since 2012-13, broadly reflecting changes in court volumes (Table 1).
- The number of social work orders issued was 17,600 in 2018-19, a fall of nine per cent from 19,500 in 2017-18 and the lowest in any of the last seven years (Table 2).
- There were 16,400 community payback orders commenced in 2018-19, a fall of eight per cent from 17,900 in 2017-18 (Table 2). Most community payback orders in 2018-19 included a requirement for unpaid work or other activity (73 per cent) and offender supervision (58 per cent) (Table 12). Thirty-one per cent had both of these requirements.
- In each of the last four years, the prevalence of unpaid work or other activity requirements has fallen while the prevalence of offender supervision has increased (Table 12).
- The successful completion rate for community payback orders was 68 per cent in 2018-19 (Table 2). This rate has generally been around 70 per cent since these orders were introduced. Seventy-two per cent of community payback orders which terminated in 2018-19 were not subject to any breach applications (Table 21).
- The completion rate for community payback orders was 78 per cent for those aged over 40, compared with 65 per cent for those aged 40 or under. Rates were also higher for the employed/self-employed (81 per cent) than for the unemployed/economically inactive (62 per cent) (Chart 7).
- There were 600 drug treatment and testing orders commenced in 2018-19. Numbers increased in each of the last two years and were at their highest since 2013-14 (Table 2). People aged 31 to 40 have been the most likely per head of population to get a drug treatment and testing order in each of the last five years.
- Seventy-two per cent of drug treatment and testing orders terminated in 2018-19 were not subject to breach applications (Table 30). The successful completion rate was 37 per cent in 2018-19, the lowest in the last seven years (Table 2), with around the same proportion revoked due to review (Table 28).
- There were 630 fiscal work orders commenced in 2018-19, a fall of 38 per cent from 2017-18 (Table 2). Eighty-seven per cent of orders terminated during 2018-19 were successfully completed (Table 32).
- There were 2,000 statutory custody and community based throughcare cases commenced in 2018-19, around the same as in recent years (Tables 1, 34 & 35).
Diversion From Prosecution, 2018-19
In 2018-19, There Were:
1,849 Cases Commenced (covering 1,789 individuals)
1,403 Cases Successfully Completed
Criminal Justice Social Work Statistics In Scotland, 2018-19
Justice Analytical Services