Coronavirus (COVID-19): highest risk - survey report - July 2021
Results from an online survey conducted by the Scottish Government Shielding Division in July 2021 with people at highest clinical risk from Covid-19.
Appendix 2 – survey design
This survey will take 5-10 minutes to complete.
We are running this survey to inform and develop guidance and support for people at highest risk from COVID-19 across Scotland. By taking part, you will help us understand what is most important to you.
You do not need to take part in this survey if you would prefer not to. Taking part will not affect the support that you get in any way. All of the questions are optional: please only tell us what you want to tell us.
Your answers will be kept anonymous. We will share the results of the study with other people working on the response to COVID-19. This may include people in the Scottish Government, Public Health Scotland, local authorities, local health boards and other NHS boards. We will write a report to tell the public about the results, which will be published at on the Scottish Government website. No one will be able to identify you when we share results or write reports.
Before you begin
Did you (or the person you care for) previously receive a letter from Scotland's Chief Medical Officer advising you to follow guidance for those at highest risk (this may have included asking you to shield)? Please choose only one of the following:
[If yes] Continue to questions. [If no] Take to ‘sorry but…’ exit page
Unfortunately this survey is only open to people who received a letter from Scotland's Chief Medical Officer advising them (or the person they care for) to follow guidance for people who are at highest risk from covid.
If you didn’t receive a letter but would like to share your opinion, there are a number of options available to you. You can provide feedback by contacting:
- Your local NHS health board
- Your local council
- The Scottish Government.
If you received a letter from Scotland's Chief Medical Officer and would like to continue filling in the survey, please click on the back button to return to the questions.
Who was advised they are at highest risk?
1. Who was advised that they are at highest risk by the Chief Medical Officer? Please choose all that apply:
I was identified as highest risk
I am caring for an adult (16 or older) who was identified as highest risk
I am caring for a child (under 16) who was identified as highest risk
2. Which of the following explains why you (or the person you care for) were identified as at highest risk? Please choose all that apply:
Severe respiratory condition
Treatment for cancer
Previously received an organ transplant
A rare disease
Pregnant and have significant heart disease
A kidney impairment (Stage 5 Chronic Kidney Disease)
Receiving renal dialysis treatment
Liver cirrhosis (Child-Pugh Class B and C)
Advised by my GP or consultant I don't know
Covid-19 vaccination program
We are interested in understanding experiences of the vaccination program and how successful it has been at reaching those who are at highest risk.
3. Have you (or the person you care for) had both the first and second dose of the COVID-19 vaccine?
4. [If no to Q3] Have you (or the person you care for) had the first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine? Yes No
5. [If yes to Q4] Is there any particular reason why you (or the person you care for) have not had the second dose of covid-19 vaccine? Please choose all that apply: I had a bad reaction to the first dose I don’t think the vaccine will work for me I haven’t received any information about my appointment I have an appointment booked but have not been to get my second dose yet I had a bad experience getting my first vaccination I have heard about people having bad reactions to the second dose of the vaccine It has been difficult to find the time to get to a vaccine centre It has been difficult to travel to a vaccination centre I don’t feel safe going into a healthcare setting to have the vaccine Another reason:
6. [If no to Q4] Is there any particular reason why you (or the person you care for) have not had a COVID-19 vaccine? Please choose all that apply: The person at highest risk is not eligible for a vaccine because they are under 16 I am worried about the side effects I don’t think the vaccine will be safe I am concerned about the ingredients used in the vaccine I don’t think the vaccine will be effective I think the vaccination has been developed too quickly I don’t feel confident it has been tested on people with my health condition I feel I am protected enough by the precautions I’m already taking (e.g. washing my hands, staying socially distanced from other people) I don’t think coronavirus poses enough of a risk to me, so I don’t need a vaccine I’m against vaccines in general I am too nervous about leaving the house to get a vaccine I don’t like needles/I’m frightened of needles I don’t feel safe going into a healthcare setting to have the vaccine I think I have already had coronavirus, so don’t need a vaccine It has been difficult to find the time or get to an appointment for a vaccination I’ve not been able to get transport to a vaccination centre I can’t be vaccinated because of my condition I have been advised by my GP or clinician not to get the vaccination No particular reason Don’t know Another reason:
7. Later this year, there are plans to offer some people booster vaccinations for COVID-19. Would you (or the person you care for) take up the offer of a booster vaccination? Yes No I don’t know / I haven’t decided yet
8. [If no or I don’t know to Q7] Is there any particular reason why you would not take up a booster vaccination? Please choose all that apply: The person at highest risk is not eligible for a vaccine because they are under 16 I am confident that the first two vaccines will give me enough protection I don’t understand the benefits of a booster vaccine I don’t think a booster vaccine will protect me I had a bad reaction to my first doses of the vaccine I can’t be vaccinated for health reasons I don’t like needles/I’m frightened of needles I don’t feel safe going into a healthcare setting to have the vaccine No particular reason Don’t know Another reason:
9. In the last 2 months, how often have you (or the person you care for):
Have you done any of the following:
Never / Once or twice a month / Once a week / A couple of times a week / Daily / Not relevant to me / Left your home for any reason
Met people outdoors who are not part of your household or extended household
Met people indoors who are not part of your household or extended household
Been on public transport
Gone to school, childcare or college
Gone to work if you can’t work at home
10. How are you feeling about the move to level 0 and beyond in Scotland? Please select one option: Very comfortable Fairly comfortable Neutral Fairly uncomfortable Very uncomfortable
11. [If fairly or very uncomfortable] Is there any particular reason that you feel uncomfortable about the move to level 0 and beyond in Scotland? The measures in place do not make me feel safer Behaviour of others High case numbers Lack of confidence in government advice Inconsistent advice Lack of evidence I don’t understand the impact of Covid on my condition I am unsure how effective the vaccine is for me I have low trust in the test and trace and isolation process I have been advised by a healthcare professional to take extra care Another reason:
12. If you were offered something small to wear, such as a wristband, to indicate that you’d prefer people to keep their distance or wear a mask near you, would you use it? Yes No Don’t know
13. [If yes to Q12] What specifically would you expect this to signal to other people? Please select all that apply: To keep a safe distance from me To wear a face mask around me To be extra cautious about washing their hands and surfaces near me To know that I might be a bit more anxious than others To let them know I am at highest risk Don’t know Another reason:
14. [If no to Q12] Is there any particular reason why you would not use something like this? Please select all that apply: I don’t want people to know that I am at highest risk I would worry about being discriminated against I think everyone should be sticking to restrictions even if they are not highest risk I don’t think it would help or change anything I already wear something to signal to people that I am at highest risk No particular reason Don’t know Another reason:
Attending healthcare appointments
15. Have you (or the person you care for) missed any face-to-face medical appointments, other than vaccination, in the last 2 months? Yes No
16. [If yes to Q15] Is there any particular reason you have missed face-to-face medical appointments in the last 2 months? My appointment was cancelled My appointment was delayed I don’t feel safe in my healthcare setting I don’t like leaving the house I didn’t feel safe getting there Another reason:
17. What is your employment situation (or the employment situation of the person you care for)? Please tell us which of the following best describes your situation:
Furloughed because of COVID-19
Looking after the home or family
Not working because of a long-term condition or disability
18. [If they pick employed or self-employed in Q17] Where do you currently work from? Please select one option: I am working from home I go to my workplace I do a mixture of working from home and going to my workplace I can’t work from home but not going to the workplace
19. [If they pick workplace or mixture in Q18] Did you have to return to the workplace in the last 3 months? Yes No
20. [If yes to Q19] Did you feel supported in your return to the workplace? Yes No
21. [If no to Q20] Is there any particular reason that you felt unsupported? I felt rushed back to work the workplace without being able to prepare and make sure it was safe My employer didn’t understand that I was at higher risk The measures that were put in place did not make me feel safer The measures were not being properly enforced Other people were not sticking to the rules Something else:
22. [If yes to 19] Did you do any of the following when you returned to work? [Please select all that apply:]
I asked about a workplace risk assessment or changes to make it safer
I did an individual risk assessment
I got help from another organisation (e.g. health and safety or a trade union)
Looked at the additional safety steps guidance I don’t know
I did not do any of these
23. [If looked at the additional safety steps guidance in Q22] Did you find the additional guidance on safety steps useful?
24. [If Can’t work from home but not going to the workplace in Q18] Is there any particular reason why you have not returned to the workplace? Please choose all that apply: I do not feel safe about returning to the workplace My organisation has not yet opened up the workplace for staff My doctor has advised me not to return to the workplace I have been signed off work No particular reason Something else:
25. [If working from home in Q18] When your workplace does open up again, do you expect to be asked to return? Yes No I don’t know
26. [Any response from Q25] How comfortable do you feel about returning to the workplace when this happens? Very comfortable Fairly comfortable Neutral Fairly uncomfortable Very uncomfortable
Attending school or education settings
27. How many children (aged under 16) are living in your household? Please select one option: None One child 2 children 3 children 4 children 5 children More than 5 children
28. [If they pick any option except none in Q27] Does your child/children usually attend school, nursery or another education setting? Yes No
29. [If yes to Q28] How comfortable do you feel about your child/children attending school, nursery or another education setting after the summer break? Please select one option: Very comfortable Fairly comfortable Neutral Fairly uncomfortable Very uncomfortable
We want to know a bit more about you. This helps us make sure we’re hearing from a broad range of people who are at highest risk. We will also use this information to understand whether particular groups have different experiences or needs.
29. What is your age (or the age of the person you care for)? Please select one option:
30. What is your gender (or the gender of the person you care for)? Please select one option:
31. What is your ethnic group (or the ethnic group of the person you care for)? Please select one option:
African, Caribbean or Black
Other ethnic group
32. Where in Scotland do you (or the person you care for) live? Please select one option:
Argyll and Bute
Clackmannanshire Dumfries and Galloway
Na h-Eileanan Siar
Perth and Kinross
I don't live in Scotland
I don't know
33. What type of area do you (or the person you care for) live in? Please select one option: City Town Suburb Village / rural area Island
34. If you suddenly had to find £100 to meet an unexpected expense, how hard would this be? Please select one option: Impossible A big problem A bit of a problem No problem
35. Which of these do you (or the person you care for) have access to at home? Please select one option: Internet-connected PC Internet-connected smartphone or tablet Basic mobile phone with no internet connection Landline phone None of the above
36. Do you have any of the following conditions? Please select all that apply:
A physical disability
Chronic pain lasting at least 3 months
Another long-term condition
Mental health condition
Deafness or severe hearing impairment
Blindness or severe vision impairment
A learning disability
None of the above Prefer not to say
37. Is English your first language? Yes No
38. Do you need help to complete forms? Yes No
39. Do you need help with reading? Yes No
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback