Raising the age of referral: consultation - easy read version

Easy read version of the consultation seeking views on raising the age a young person can be referred to a children’s hearing.

What difference will these changes make?

Some children and young people have needs and face risks. They may have been going on a long time. It can be complicated.

Concerns about a young person can be made to the Children's Reporter. This is called a referral. This may be from the police, social work, school or another person. This is because they think that the child or young person needs help.

Some 16 and 17 year olds may need legal protection or support in their life. They may not get the help they need, because laws and services may not see them as a child.



Back to top