(1) It's everyone's job to make sure I'm alright, Report of Child Protection Audit and Review. http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2002/11/15820/14009
(2) The Scottish Government. Early Years Collaborative. 2013; Available from: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/People/Young-People/Early-Years-and-Family/early-years-collaborative.
(3) The Scottish Patient Safety Programme. www.scottishpatientsafetyprogramme.scot.nhs.uk
(4) General Register Office for Scotland. Vital Events Reference Tables, 2011. 2012; Available from: http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/statistics/theme/vital-events/general/ref-tables/2011/section-6-deaths-causes.html.
(5) The UNICEF Office of Research. Child well-being in rich countries: a comparative overview. The UNICEF Office of Research, Florence, 2013. http://www.unicef.org.uk/Images/Campaigns/FINAL_RC11-ENG-LORES-fnl2.pdf.
(6) Lancet 2013:381:1224-34:6-12 April 2013. Graph compiled with data from WHO Mortality Database. Trends in mortality in children aged 0-14 years in 11 European countries, 1980-2010 http://apps.who.int/healthinfo/statistics/mortality/whodpms/
(7) Lancet 2013: 381:1224-34: 6-12 April 2013. Table compiled with data from WHO Mortality Database. Mortality in children aged 0-14 in the UK in comparison with Sweden. http://apps.who.int/healthinfo/statistics/mortality/whodpms/
(8) Hardelid P, Davey J, Dattani N, Gilbert R, the Working Group of the Research and Policy Directorate of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health (2013) Child Deaths Due to Injury in the Four UK Countries: A Time Trends Study from 1980 to 2010. PloS (Public Library of Science) ONE 8(7): e68323. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0068323
(9) ISD Scotland. Scottish Perinatal and Infant Mortality and Morbidity Report (SPIMMR). 2013; Available from: http://www.isdscotland.org/Health-Topics/Maternity-and-Births/Stillbirth-and-Infant-Deaths/.
(10) Collison D, Dey C, Hannah G, Stevenson L. Income inequality and child mortality in wealthy nations. J Public Health (Oxf) 2007;29(2):114-117.
(11) Dibben C, Popham F. Are health inequalities evident at all ages? An ecological study of English mortality records. Eur J Public Health 2013;23(1):39-45.
(12) Edwards P, Roberts I, Green J, Lutchmun S. Deaths from injury in children and employment status in family: analysis of trends in class specific death rates. BMJ 2006; 333:119.
(13) Government, BC.2007. Child Death Review Unit: Office of the Coroner: Annual Report. Vancouver: Government of British Columbia.
(14) How children die: classifying child deaths. Arch Dis Child. 2011 October 1996 (10): 922-6. Pearson GA, Ward- Platt M, Kelly D.
(15) Mothers and Babies Reducing Risk through Audit and Confidential Enquiries across the UK collaboration. MBRRACE-UK. 2013; Available from: https://www.npeu.ox.ac.uk/mbrrace-uk.
(16) Department for Education. Working Together to Safeguard Children: A guide to inter-agency working to safeguard and promote the welfare of children. HM Government, http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/w/working%20together.pdf, 2013.
(17) Jennifer J Kurinczuk & Marian Knight - Child death reviews: improving the use of evidence Research Report. October 2013. National Perinatal Epidemiology Unit University of Oxford. Department of Education.
(18) Bunting L, Reid C. Reviewing Child Deaths- Learning from the American Experience. Child Abuse Review 2005;14:82-96.
(19) Sidebotham P, Pearson G. Responding to and learning from childhood deaths. BMJ 2009;338:b531. Fraser, J., Sidebotham, P., Frederick, J., Covington, T., Mitchell EA.(2013). (In press) Understanding children's deaths: learning from child death review in four high income countries. The Lancet. (Accepted for publication).
(21) Wirtz SJ, Foster V, Lenart GA. Assessing and improving child death review team recommendations. Injury Prevention 2011;17(Suppl 1):i64-i70.
(22) Devaney J, Lazenbatt A, Bunting L. Inquiring into Non-Accidental Child Deaths: Reviewing the Review Process. British Journal of Social Work 2011;41:242-260.
(23) Morris, K., Brandon, M. & Tudor, P. 2013. Rights, Responsibilities and Pragmatic Practice: Family participation in Case Reviews. Child Abuse Review.
(24) Health Improvement Scotland - Learning from adverse events through reporting and review: A national framework for NHSScotland http://www.healthcareimprovementscotland.org/our_work/governance_and_assurance/management_of_adverse_events/national_framework.aspx.
(25) Harker L, Jutte S, Murphy T, Bentley H, Miller P, Fitch K. How safe are our children? NSPCC, http://www.nspcc.org.uk/Inform/research/findings/howsafe/how-safe-2013-report_wdf95435.pdf, 2013.
(26) The Scottish Executive. What to do after a death in Scotland: practical advice for times of bereavement. The Scottish Executive, http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2006/04/12094440/30, 2006.
(27) Hardelid P, Davey J, Dattani N, Gilbert R. Child deaths due to injury in the four UK countries: a time trends study from 1980 to 2010. PLoS ONE 2013;8(7):e68323.
(28) Dibben C, Popham F. Are health inequalities evident at all ages? An ecological study of English mortality records. Eur J Public Health 2013;23(1):39-45.
(29) SUDI Scotland. SUDI Review. 2013; Available from: http://www.sudiscotland.org.uk/sudi_review/.
(30) The Scottish Executive. Protecting Children and Young People: Interim Guidance for Child Protection Committees for Conducting a Significant Case Review. The Scottish Executive, Edinburgh, 2007.
(31) Sidebotham P, Pearson G. Responding to and learning from childhood deaths. BMJ 2009;338:b531.
(32) Wirtz SJ, Foster V, Lenart GA. Assessing and improving child death review team recommendations. Injury Prevention 2011;17(Suppl 1):i64-i70.
(33) Bunting L, Reid C. Reviewing Child Deaths- Learning from the American Experience. Child Abuse Review 2005;14:82-96.
(34) Devaney J, Lazenbatt A, Bunting L. Inquiring into Non-Accidental Child Deaths: Reviewing the Review Process. British Journal of Social Work 2011;41:242-260.
(35) Axford N, Bullock R. Child Death and Significant case reviews: International Approaches. Scottish Executive, http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/55971/0015630.pdf, 2005.
(36) Pearson GA(.Why Children Die: A Pilot Study 2006; England (South West, North East and West Midlands), Wales and Northern Ireland. CEMACH, London, 2008.
(37) Sidebotham P, Fox J, Howarth J, Powell C. Developing effective child death review: a study of 'early starter' child death overview panels in England. Injury Prevention 2011;17(Suppl 1):i55-i63.
(38) National Center for Child Death Review Policy and Practice. The National MCH Center for Child Death Review. Date not stated; Available from: http://www.childdeathreview.org/home.htm.
(39) Liverpool LSCB. Welcome to LSCB. 2012; Available from: http://www.liverpoolscb.org/.
Email: Mary Sloan
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback