1. Scottish Government (2008). Better Cancer Care: An Action Plan. Available from: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/242498/0067458.pdf.
2. Scottish Government (2010). Healthcare Quality Strategy for NHSScotland. Available from: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/311667/0098354.pdf.
3. NHS Quality Improvement Scotland (2008) Management of Core Cancer Services Standards. Available from: http://www.healthcareimprovementscotland.org/our_work/cancer_care_improvement/cancer_resources/standards_for_cancer_services.aspx.
4. Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network (2005). Management of breast cancer in women. Edinburgh: SIGN. Publication No. 84.
5. NICE (2009). Breast Cancer (Early and Locally Advanced) Diagnosis and Treatment. Cardiff: NICE. CG80.
6. Willett et al (2010). Best Practice Diagnostic Guidelines for Patients Presenting with Breast Symptoms. Available from: http://www.associationofbreastsurgery.org.uk/media/4585/best_practice_diagnostic_guidelines_for_patients_presenting_with_breast_symptoms.pdf
7. NHS BSP (2009). Quality Assurance Guidelines for Surgeons in Breast Cancer Screening. Sheffield: NHS Cancer screening Programmes. Publication 20 Fourth Edition.
8. Jeevan R, Cromwell DA, Trivella M, et al. Reoperation rates after breast conserving surgery for breast cancer among women in England: retrospective study of hospital episode statistics. BMJ. 2012;345:e4505. doi: 10.1136/bmj.e4505. [ PMC free article] [ PubMed] [ Cross Ref]
9. Munshi A, Kakkar S, Bhutani R, Jalali R, Budrukkar A, Dinshaw KA. Factors influencing cosmetic outcome in breast conservation. Clin Oncol 2009;21:285-93. [ PubMed]
10. NICE (2013). Familial breast cancer: classification, care and managing breast cancer and related risks in people with a family history of breast cancer. NICE CG 164. Available from: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg164
11. NHS Improvement (2010). Ambulatory breast surgical care: day case/23-hour breast care.
12. NHS Quality Improvement Scotland (2008). Management of breast cancer services. Available from: http://www.healthcareimprovementscotland.org/programmes/cancer/cancer_resources/standards_for_cancer_services.aspx.
13. Abe et al (2005). Effects of radiotherapy and of differences in the extent of surgery for early breast cancer on local recurrence and 15-year survival: an overview of the randomised trials. Lancet. 366 (9503), 2087-2106.
14. Fisher et al (2002). Tamoxifen, radiation therapy, or both for prevention of ipsilateral breast tumour recurrence after lumpectomy in women with invasive breast cancers of one centimetre or less. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 20 (20), 4141-4149.
15. Veronesi et al (2002). Twenty-year follow-up of a randomized study comparing breast-conserving surgery with radical mastectomy for early breast cancer. New England Journal of Medicine. 347 (16), 1227-1232.
16. Early Breast Cancer Trialists' Collaborative Group (EBCTCG) (2005). Effects of chemotherapy and hormonal therapy for early breast cancer on recurrence and 15-year survival: an overview of the randomised trials. Lancet. 365 (9472), 1687-1717
17. Wishart, G et al. PREDICT: a new UK prognostic model that predicts survival following surgery for invasive breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res. 2010; 12(1): R1.
18. Wishart, G et al. PREDICT Plus: development and validation of a prognostic model for early breast cancer that includes HER2. Br J Cancer. 2012 Aug 21; 107(5): 800-807.
19. Sant M, Aareleid T, Berrino F, Bielska LasotaM, Carli PM, FaivreJ, et al. (2003). EUROCARE-3: survival of breast cancer patients diagnosed 1990-94 - results and commentary. Ann Oncol. 14(Suppl 5), v61-v118.
20. Thomson CS, Brewster DH, Dewar JA, Twelves CJ. (2004). Improvements in survival for women with breast cancer in Scotland between 1987 and 1993: impact of earlier diagnosis and changes in treatment. Eur J Cancer. 40(5), 743-53.