2. Energy in Real Life
Scotland generated 30.5 TWh of electricity from renewable sources in 2019, equivalent to:
- Charging almost 6.7 billion mobile phones for a year
- Boiling approximately 700 billion kettles.
Scotland generated 5.2 TWh of renewable heat in 2019, equivalent to:
- Gas use of every building in Glasgow City
- Heating all educational establishments for roughly 2 years
Scotland consumed 147 TWh of energy in 2018, equivalent to:
- 24,000 flights around the world
- The UK’s road and rail energy use for four months
Scotland’s annual energy consumption dropped by 22.2 TWh between 2005-07 and 2018, equivalent to the energy required:
- To cook meals for every household in Scotland for just over 10 years.
- For 14.8 billion showers