We are working to increase the number of homes across Scotland so that everyone has a good quality home that they can afford and that meets their needs.
Housing to 2040, published in March 2021, sets out Scotland’s first long-term national housing strategy with a vision for what we want housing to look like and how it will be provided to the people of Scotland. The vision and route map aims to deliver our ambition for everyone to have a safe, good quality and affordable home that meets their needs in the place they want to be.
Housing to 2040 is the product of extensive engagement with local government, businesses, the third sector, home owners, tenants and others beginning, in September 2018, with the Housing Beyond 2021 paper which aimed to help inform discussions on the future of housing.
In May 2019 we published our stakeholder engagement report in response to consultation which took place between September and November 2018.
We committed to plan together with stakeholders for how our homes and communities should look and feel in 2040 and the options and choices to get there. We published a draft vision and principles for 2040 in July 2019 and consulted on these, and the policy options to make them a reality, from December 2019 to February 2020.
We are increasing the supply of homes through:
- the Housing and Planning Delivery Framework, which brings planning and housing requirements closer together, making them easier and quicker to take forward
- the Affordable Housing Supply Programme (AHSP) comprises a range of funding mechanisms to enable affordable housing providers to deliver homes for social rent, mid-market rent, and low cost home ownership in communities across Scotland to support local authorities’ Local Housing Strategies
- the Housing Infrastructure Fund
- the Rural and Islands Housing Funds
- Gypsy/Traveller Accommodation Fund
- the use of innovative financing models that support the delivery of affordable housing
- bringing empty homes back into use
- providing a range of grants and loans
- home buying, which includes schemes such as the Low-cost Initiative for First Time Buyers (LIFT), Help to Buy (Scotland) and the First Home Fund
- social housing
- the Centre for Housing Market Analysis provides support to local authorities and others to aid the strategic planning of housing in Scotland
- offsite construction
- our Housing and Regeneration Programmes (HARP), a web-based system to store consistent and accurate information about our housing and regeneration programmes
Our long-term housing strategy, Housing to 2040, sets out a vision for housing in Scotland to 2040 and a route map to get there.
Bills and legislation
- Housing (Scotland) Act 2006
- Housing (Scotland) Act 2001
- Local Government Finance (Unoccupied Properties etc.) (Scotland) Act 2012
Telephone: 0300 244 4000
Local Government and Housing Directorate