Strengthening consumer support
We are committed to creating a consumer protection system that is effective, flexible and capable of both protecting consumers from harm and empowering them to make good choices.
We are developing consumer and competition principles and a policy statement to highlight how we are making an impact with the powers we gained via the Scotland Act 2016.
In addition, we are continuing to work with organisations such as Citizens Advice Scotland (CAS) and the Society of Chief Officers of Trading Standards in Scotland (SCOTSS) to strengthen the services available to support consumers.
Our current actions to strengthen consumer advocacy include:
- working with Citizens Advice Scotland to strengthen its consumer support
- contributing to Trading Standards reviews to ensure more effective enforcement
- improving links between government and the provision of consumer advice
- strengthening data-sharing arrangements between Trading Standards bodies and the Citizens Advice service
- working with redress providers to raise standards and develop more consistent procedures
We also ensure consumers can access help when they need it by funding a Consumer Advice helpline ran by CAS.