Building approval

The building standards system sets out various roles and responsibilities.  

We set the standards and requirements which verifiers, approved building professionals (approved bodies and approved certifiers), local authorities and building owners must adhere to. We also produce guidance to explain the building standards system.

See our collection of building standards guidance on verification and certification.

Certifying building work

We have produced a Certification Handbook to explain how the process works. We also maintain the only authoritative list of registered approved building professional (approved bodies and approved certifiers).

The use of certification is optional. Certification covers design or construction and only applies where the work requires a building warrant.  There are a number of works covered by certification, these are listed on the Scottish Government Certification Register. The benefit of using an approved certifier of design and/or construction is that the building work will be certified by qualified building professionals as complying with regulations.

There is also guidance given in the  Procedural Guidance on Certification that provides useful information on what to consider when making a building warrant application, including the information that should be submitted with an application.

The Modern methods of construction: Guidance for building standards verification provides guidance to Local Authority verifiers and Certifiers as defined under the Building (Scotland) Act 2003 when assessing building warrant applications and certifying works which use Modern Methods of Construction (MMC).

Making an electronic application - eDevelopment and eBuilding Standards

We have provided model forms that may be adapted by the verifier to suit their individual circumstances and requirements. These forms may also be used by applicants or their duly authorised agents.

We provide the portal for online submission of applications for building warrants, completion certificates and other related forms to local authorities.  You can create an account on the e-Development website, and once registered you can make an on-line application

If you need help completing a form please contact your local authority building standards department. You will also find form help guides on the eBuilding Standards homepage.

Back to top